2.25.2013

17

seventeen 


The number of faces I had to learn the first few days I got here.

The number of smiles my heart is melted by. 

The number of voices I now can tell the difference between. 

The number of hugs I was slammed with after stepping 2 feet 
into the compound my first night back.

Nancy   Jolly   Lucy   Doreen   Aloyo   Anita   Espe   Jacky   Gloria   Vero   Naomi   Fatuma   Charlie  Charlotte   Mercy   Afosina   Janet 


I forgot how much I love to squeeze them with love.

I forgot how much I love to wrap my arms around their heads and smother their cheeks with kisses.

I forgot how much I love being called Aunty. 

I forgot how small Gloria is, how dainty Aloyo's hands are, and how much Jacky loves to 'make my hair'. 

Modeling our beautiful chitenge!!
Jolly's in my arms and Lucy is behind me!

Essie made an appearance (;
One of the perks of them on holiday = they can wear nail polish!


When I returned from the states, our girls were still on their holiday break. This meant more play time! Spending more time with them reminds me why I am here. My heart is recharged in heaping amounts with each hug I get from them every time I visit their home. My heart does the strangest thing when I see them. I know I say this a lot, but it literally just  g u s h e s. Like gushers. (cravings have kicked into high speed here)

Each of these girls were only stories my heart broke for until I actually met them. And even now, when I see them I don't see their past. I see the the Lord's captivating new creation He is continuously clothing in healing and growth. 

My heart has been planted deep in the soil of Uganda and watered with tears & sweat, nourished with laughter & play, and grown by the greatest Gardener of all. He tends to the garden of my heart daily. Some days it feels like all He's doing is just letting the rakes dig and scrape over and rip up the old soil, while other days I feel like all I am doing is blooming and blossoming in the sun. 

I had never really thought about this until recently. About how the Lord specifically chose each of these 17 girls to be in Zion Project. To be loved on, grown, poured into, and groomed. Not everyone in this community has that opportunity. God has them here for a reason. I caught myself thinking of the day that Nancy puts on her graduation gown, or Charlie's hand is taken in marriage. Each one of them is a leader. They each have such potential to impact those who will be on their paths. 

Some days I can feel the Lord working through me and all I'm doing is being present. Then there are other days when I feel like I just have to focus on putting one foot in front of the other. I KNOW He is near, He is good, and He is faithful. He reminds me of truths that I can rest in, instead of leaning on good feelings or manageable circumstances. 

I get the image of a battle. Of me standing on the top of a hill, my hair - preferably curled - blowing in the wind  (stick with me...), with the face of a fighter on. God (Hulk x 77) and I are taking on Satan, and I'm shooting arrows as swiftly as Snow White from Once Upon a Time. After a few puny arrows flutter then flop in from Him, God turns around, bends down and looks at me. I look up with raised eyebrows and great big grin and He sweetly chuckles, then stands back up and proceeds to defeat Satan. 

I think I got that image to remind me of my role. Not that fighting Satan is any joking matter, but it's almost silly to think that what I will accomplish when I fight on my own strength will even make it across the frontline. "The Lord will fight FOR you, and you shall hold your peace." Exodus 14:14  It's a process to learn what holding my peace looks like here in Africa, but slowly slowly He's teaching me (;


No comments:

Post a Comment