11.20.2012

seasons

Scarves, boots, and jeans

PUMPKIN scones, spice lattes, and cupcakes

Beautiful JMU trees

s e a s o n   o f   f a l l

I love each season for what it brings. But fall's seasonal food&drinks, breathtaking colors, and crisp coolness all bundle into one big ball of joy for me! When Nina asked if she could send me any holiday-ish things, I asked for a seasonal Starbucks cup or napkins... what? I don't even drink coffee, but I love what fall brings to it! The next season here is the dry season during America's winter months. It speaks for itself: dry, hot, and even more dusty. While some of you will be having snow dustings, we'll be having dust dustings over here (=

Soo I've been living vicariously through my computer to get my fall fix. I can surprisingly get a decent fall dose through Foodgawker, Pinterest, Facebook pictures, and some commercial websites (Target, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts...) As much as I want to jump into the screen to feel the crispness or smell pumpkin spice, my heart is so content as I lift my eyes and take in what I see: bright green trees exuding life, yellow flowers on a vine peaking over our tin 'wall' from our neighbors, and the hot sun baking the string of beads our women just varnished. I have had 21 Virginia falls; it's time for Uganda's! 

s e a s o n   o f   w a i t i n g

Christine was a volunteer before me at Zion Project over the summer. I've been talking with her and sharing different struggles (and silly stories!) that she can so closely identify with. Her words and prayers reach my heart so effectively. Lately I've been sharing how I have been getting frustrated with myself for the lack of connection with the women. How are you supposed to build on a relationship when the main way (verbal communication) is taken away from you? He's how. She urged me to cry out the same prayer she petitioned, "Lord, may the women and I develop relationships with connections that go deeper than words. Will you allow our spirits to communicate?

I desire deeper relationships. But I'm finding out that when I want to see things happening may not be aligned with His timing. I may have skipped a season or two when I envision where I want to be with them. Ultimately I know that having this season of waiting will make the future seasons much more fruitful. How can I expect them to trust a mzungu that just waltzes into their lives right away and forget the hardships and trust that was disoriented in their past? It takes time and a building of foundation. It's kind of like a TV show. You may want to jump ahead and watch season 3 because you see other people already there; but without watching seasons 1 or 2, season 3 just won't make quite as much sense.

s e a s o n  o f  U g a n d a

Knowing that my time in Uganda is a season in and of itself is a firm reminder and a passion igniter. My dear friend, Sarah, returned to the U.S. recently. While it was difficult to say goodbye, I am ecstatic for her next season of rest and eating yummy food. Sarah leaving reminded me that I won't be in Zion Project or Uganda forever. But for this specific time God has let me share life with the women, children, staff, and locals. It is my prayer that I don't miss out on ONE thing He's intended for me here. What a sweet season it is.

I pray hearing from Him is  n e v e r  just a season

I have been so hungry for fruit. [not like bananas or pineapples - which are going out of season! NO!!] But the fruit that comes from the Holy Spirit. I want to know more about His voice and what it sounds like. I've been spending some time meditating in the mornings. It is truly an achievement to quiet my mind without a to-do list or question I want to ask Him popping up, or laughing from hearing Stephen's backpack rattling because he's running to hop on the boda to school. But once He does get even just 3 minutes of my undivided attention, He uses it. The loudest thing I've heard from Him was to "let love lead". Sometimes He speaks to me in aliteration. Right before senior year He told me, "plant your passion in different pastures"...


Welp. These red dirt roads of Uganda are pretty different, if you ask me! So I've been praying to let love lead. Let love lead my actions, words, decisions, interactions, dispositions. Let love lead fear, anxiety, self-condemnation and lies right out of my heart/mind. God is love (1 John 4:8) & I want to let Him lead.


"There is a time for everything, and a season for everything under the heavens." 
Ecclesiastes 3:1

**that verse was told to Aunty Kevin by our girl Naome as she was crying while say bye to Sarah.


HAPPY EARLY THANKSGIVING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment