10.11.2012

mr. chickedy


Last Thursday Christine and I traveled to Kampala via Post Bus. On our way, distress came upon Christine as she remembered she forgot to bring the chicken for her niece in Kampala! Not a cooked chicken… a full-grown, living, feathered, breathing chicken. We had a few stops along our 5 hour journey. When I say ‘stops’, I mean the bus literally just stopped in the middle of the road. People come running up to the bus holding long sticks to reach the windows with baskets at the top and their said product inside: sodas, lemons, cassava, peanuts, beans, roasted bananas (SO GOOD), and live chickens! Well the chickens weren’t on a stick, but they were held upside down and way up high. Christine reached out of the window, paid the man, brought that live thing in and tucked it at her feet! Praise the Lord she had the window seat so Mr. Chickedy was not on the other side next to me.

Me: “So does that thing move around?”
Christine: “Sometimes, yes. Would you like to touch it?”
I quickly shook my head and politely said no.

I was worried if Mr. Chickedy would so much as brush up against my foot with a feather my instant reflex would be to punt him to the front of the bus. Thank God it didn’t… but for some reason we found it had slid up about 7 seats ahead of us by the end of the trip. When Christine said she’d “pick one up on along the way”, I most certainly didn’t think that’s what she meant! haha! This country surprises and teaches me daily. 

On my trips to and from Kampala I was sitting in the middle/back of the bus. This was a different experience than when I first came here, sitting in the passenger seat of a car. My heart would jump each time we had to pass a car and swerve from a pothole simultaneously, inching us closer and closer to the oncoming vehicle. If you know me well, you know I am the WORST backseat/shotgun driver EVER. I get super nervous when others are driving and opt to sit in the back when I can [except for with a few select drivers!(; ] Sitting in the middle/back of the bus disenabled me to see what’s next on the road until it came up to my window. I was much calmer that way. I smell a lesson here..    

The Lord doesn’t let me see too far ahead in life at points because it’d scare the bejeebiz out of me.

Por ejemplo: I began thinking I was going to Uganda for just 3 months. After a bit, I told my co-leader at the time, Rachel Downey, that I felt the Lord pulling me towards 5 or 6 months. She said He might be showing me a little bit at a time because I’d be overwhelmed if I saw the whole thing at once. She was right! And so was He. He knew I’d freak out if He told me in one sitting that not only would I not be an au pair in France for 3 months, but going to Uganda for 10
For some He can covey a message all in one big cake, and others in smaller bites… more like cupcakes. I’m a cupcake kind of girl. It makes my heart glow knowing He has a tailor made way of conveying information, just for me. Like my very own cupcake flavor! (=


I began my journey in Gulu learning to be raw and real with the Lord about how I was feeling in general. I’m now learning to be real with my feelings of all colors towards Him. After some self-reflecting, I realized and confessed that I sometimes think that God has it out for me. I know, I know it sounds weird… but stick with me! Here’s a previous thought bubble of mine: Now that I’ve been more accustomed to life in Gulu and expressed that I love it here… He would say, “YES! Gotchya. Perfect. Stay here forever!” Or that every road I had to take needed to be the hard one. After shedding true light on that lie, I saw how it had bled into so many different aspects. I was tricked into thinking that He had it out for me. Hmm.. I wonder where that idea came from. [I’ll give you a hint. His name starts with an ‘s’ and ends with an ‘atan’].  A few days after I surfaced that thought to Him, I asked for more intimacy with Him. I wanted to know more about Him. I desperately want lies to be dispelled and truths to take center stage. During a quiet time and going through Beth Moore’s James study, I was rocked by this truth: He is incapable of abusing His divine authority over you. He is worthy and holy. Which meant Him ‘having it out for me’ doesn’t line up with the Lord’s character.  Wahoo!                                                                                                                                  S  o     f  r  e  e  i  n  g 

I want every person on earth to know Jesus. I found my desire taking a different angle here because they would experience eternity in a FAR better place than this. Not that America is even a spec of heaven, but life in America is worlds apart from Africa [literally]. With my Americanized mind I often think, gosh I cannot wait until you get to heaven and can live there. Then the big Man gently reminds me that He sent His Son to die so that WE ALL may “have life and have it to the full” (John 10:10). 

I wonder, what does life to the full look like here? You by no means need to live in a first world country to have life to the full. Besides the issue of overpopulation, that would be impossible! But what does it look like for the women who sell to me in the market, or for the children I see walking with water jerrycans balanced perfectly on their heads {truly talented!}, or the boda driver who takes me into town… 
what does their life to the full look like?



I strive to end each day with s t r e t c h i n g and then being before the Lord. I was inspired by Em Curlz (Kacsmar) to try and do the splits again! I have a few stretches that get me closer and closer. I light one of my delicious smelling WoodWick candles from Steph and have at it! Afterwards, I am physically and mentally calmed down and stretched out. I then get on my knees with my face to the ground in child’s pose. The cool tile is the best feeling, as it’s the coolest thing I’ve felt all day. Being on my knees before the Lord is one of the most instant acts of submission, I believe. In order to receive His greater grace (James 4:6) I need to submit to Him. I present things heavy on my heart to Him, or break with tears before Him… but my favorite thing is just be with Him. He’s a simple God. And He loves me. What else is better than that?

"and I will be to her a wall of fire all around, declares the Lord,
and I will be the glory in her midst"
Zechariah 2:5



**Update on the cockroaches: Still here. Working on getting a self-fumigation package. In the meantime… the bottoms of my sandals have become roach-morgues. woof.



No comments:

Post a Comment